But you must iron very carefully. I sandwiched the oilcloth between 2 pieces of parchment paper and then ironed on top of the paper. Worked out quite well (in terms of getting the creases out – likely not the healthiest thing to be doing).
Yesterday I spend a ridiculous amount of time trying to get my photos uploaded. My scrappin’ sister had showed me how cute it is to make mini-photos – putting 4 photos into the size of a regular photo. Well, that took forever, since I was unable to do it in Photoshop – I had to do it in Illustrator and then open in Photoshop to save as a jpeg. Anyway, after I did all that – had all my mini-photos saved as jpegs, neither of the 2 main photo websites that I use would let me upload ’em! I was so mad. So I finally remember that Yarbs also uses Winkflash to print photos, so I went out to it, dragged my photos into Winkflash and held my breath (literally) when I clicked the “Send to Winkflash” button. It worked, thank goodness, so I didn’t have to bang my head against the wall or even mutter any obscenities!
Anyway, after the whole photo debacle was figured out, it was late in the afternoon. There were projects that I should have started for the house, but I decided that I needed a little creative outlet. And I remembered that I had some oilcloth stashed away somewhere – I hadn’t used it in probably 3 years, but I knew I had it. Hence the need to iron it – the fabric was on the bottom of one of my fabric bins, all folded up.
I needed the oil cloth because I remembered there was a tutorial on Design*Sponge showing how to make an oilcloth lunchbag. So I decided to give it a go. I quickly remembered why I had so much oilcloth leftover – it is hard to sew! And how much I didn’t really like sewing it. Anyway, here are the fruits of my labor:
My oilcloth lunchbag. I am definitely not as skilled working with oilcloth as Derek and Lauren (the writers of the tut). The top of my bag came out uneven.
So after I made the lunchbag, I started to think of if there was an easier way to piece together the lunchbag. I cut 5 pieces out (2 sides, 1 bottom, 2 front/back) and tried to sew them together (right sides out) and then pinked the edges.
It isn’t perfect – and wasn’t all that easy for me, so I think I am not meant to be a master oilcloth sewer.
I did make one little thing with some leftover oilcloth that I think came out the best out of all of these oilcloth projects:
A reverse applique ‘T’ on a tag that I (machine) stitched around. (Yarbs had just had me watch an video with Amy Tan(gerine) showing how to make reverse appliques on scrapbook layouts). I am considering (hand) embroidering something that starts with a ‘T’ in the white space below the big T.
I literally have hundreds of these tags, so I could make a lot of initial reverse applique tags – along with simple shapes. Hmm, something to think about…