Problem Solving with Craftiness!

With Baby J, comes a lot of stuff.  I have finally gotten his play area under control, but there is always things that want to get out of control.  For example, we have these adorable little alphabet books we got from one of Boom’s co-workers:

Problem is, if they don’t have a place to go, they go everywhere!  Or else I would just hide them away and we didn’t get to enjoy them.  Well, I was looking around my mud room, and found this:

An empty container that once held baby wipes (got them as part of a shower gift).  The books fit perfectly inside of this container (with the top off), but the label wouldn’t come off (I didn’t try all that hard).  I had been playing around with my Mod Podge and recently became the proud owner of a brayer (after perusing this excellent blog, if you ever want to get into Mod Podging) so I though, Ah ha!  I will try my newly acquired techniques out.

Getting advice from an expert is definitely the way to go.  I got my paper wet, then Mod Podged it, then went over it with the brayer.  Here is the finished product:Now it looks adorable!  And I love that I am upcycling something that otherwise would be taking up energy to be recycled or space in a landfill.  I know my pack rat ways kind of bug Boom, but when I can reuse items and make solutions for problems I have, why not?!

So I continued on my Mod Podging ways – we finished this last week:

(which Boom now refuses to buy as he claims it is way too expensive)

I took the label off (it came off quite easily):

cleaned the inside and them Mod Podged some cute scrapbooking paper to the outside:

Now I have an adorable lidded container to hold stuff (currently empty), but I am sure I will find a use for it soon.

Another issue is corralling Baby J’s books in his play area:

I made him a couple  round storage bins, and started using one for book storage, but it didn’t work well for a few reasons – 1) it is round and books are not, 2) too floppy, and 3) not big enough.

So I got a white rectangular storage bin for his books, but it looked way to plain to me.  I thought I would do a freezer paper stencil to add a decoration, but turns out, freezer paper doesn’t iron onto non-cotton type fabric.  Onto Plan B – doing a contact paper stencil to add my decoration.  I designed what I wanted to go onto the bin, printed it out, traced it (backwards) onto the contact paper, cut it all out, then stuck the design onto the bin:

This was somewhat more difficult than I had thought it would be, as I had to get all the negative shapes in the correct place.  and there were lots of bits and pieces that were just floating out there.  But I did my best.  Then I painted:

Here’s the finished product:

And now I love it!  I think it looks adorable!  I think the bin probably cost me less than $5, and with just a little elbow grease, I was able to make it into something cute!

Am I nesting?  I dunno, but I have been getting a lot of projects done lately!  I guess I know in less than 10 weeks I will be in pure survival mode.  So I am taking advantage of this time now to indulge my crafty side.

And here is a picture of the most adorable baby (banker) in the world:

Advertisements

2 responses to “Problem Solving with Craftiness!

  1. You are a crafting machine! I’m thinking you best get it all done before you are outnumbered 😉
    JJ looks so cute in his shirt!
    See you this afternoon oxox

  2. You are so creative – love the BOOK bin! 🙂
    Survival mode is a great way to describe life once a new baby arrives – I’m sure you will handle it like the pro you already are though!
    xoxo
    YPA

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s